From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:40:08 -0700
Actually this reminded me of when I did a small research project in
original finishes in 18th century metals. The well-preserved
archaeological artifacts in varous metals almost always contained
original surfaces with tool marks and evidence and fresh use-wear,
while the objects in the decorative arts collections had much poorer
retention of original surfaces and most of the variety of finishes
(filing, turning, burnishing) and the crispness of details was worn
away by years of use and cleaning. I did a detailed study of a
archaeological 1720's brass candlestick that retained fresh filemarks
even on the bottom of the base and the last candle stub was left in
the cup.

The impulse to make old things look new has a long pedigree and it is
one of those things that, as a professional conservator, I am
constantly trying to educate people to abstain from.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator