From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:46:53 -0400
Wanda,

With the combination of materials and the presence of heavy grime and
salt contamination the very best thing you can do is to relocate these
items under shelter (preferably inside a building) until a more through
assessment can be done of their condition. Often using water, even in a
damp rag, can do more harm, such as driving in grime into deteriorated
leather, knocking off lifting paint flakes, and reactivating salts in
wood and metals. It is never a good idea to attempt to "seal" a surface
with active or potential salt problems as the salts can later activate
and very serious problems can occur later.

It seems to me that originally most of these objects would have been
housed inside a shed or carriage house or barn precisely to keep them
from deteriorating when they were is use.

With no budget the best thing you can do is to get these artifacts out
of exposure to the weather.

Cheers
Dave

David Harvey