From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:01:25 -0400
I've worked for small or mid sized museums my entire career, and though I
don't think I'll refer you any particular program, I would like to note some
real world issues that may help in your planning.  Since you've already been
out there to an extent, you may know these things already.
Small museums far outnumber, I think, larger institutions with a full
complement of staff.  I would look for having good general skills, then, in
several areas, if your choice is museum work.  I'm old fashioned, I guess,
but I wouldn't hire a person trained in specifically in archives to do my
museum collections management...and vice versa.  And with a small history
museum/historical society, where you might only be able to hire one person
to do it all -- I'd look for someone with a good foundation in the types of
collections owned by an historical society, which would mean someone who was
flexible and adaptable.  I think this sort of person is invaluable.  Being a
generalist is not a bad thing.
That being said, I am now on my 18th year in this profession, and I have to
admit I still feel as though I know very little.  I think that you mature in
the profession, like anything else I suppose, and many things that were not
clear to me starting out have become abundantly so!
Candace Perry