From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:08:17 -0500
In a message dated 95-11-30 16:33:45 EST, [log in to unmask] (Kersti Krug)
writes:

>Though his anger was unnerving, I plodded on
>with my answer:  that "balance" was in the eye of the beholder, that for
>centuries (and still today) any so-called "balance" has been skewed to a
>colonial view of "truth," and that balance should perhaps be measured
>between the museum and some outside world, or over time.

Well done!! When I worked for the American Indian Program (NMNH) at the
Smithsonian, we always got calls from people who wanted the "Indian" word for
birthday or to tell us that they had a coat that Sitting Bull gave their
great great grandfather, how much is it worth. It is often difficult to
communicate with the unenlightened who think they know everything and are
rigid in their world view. You are to be commended for offering a calm and
rational rebuttal to what was obviously an attack born of fear and
ignorance!!

- Adrienne