From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:16:38 -0400
Stephen, you raise an interesting point.  Could it be argued, then, that
scientists should make more of an effort to bridge the gap between the
general public and their own views?  I keep coming back to this when I read
all the points of this discussion--that with a little more effort on the
part of scientists, all of this might not be an issue.  "Just want[ing] to
focus on the science" no longer does the trick.  I'm not talking about
"dumbing down," I'm talking about an intentional educating.

(And, I note, museums are the perfect vehicle to lead that charge.)

I have no doubt that the suggestion brings a frustrated "Well, of course
that's what we're trying to do!" from some readers.  But I can't help but
feel that so long as scientists take a lofty stance that the truth should be
self-apparent, they're (we're) going to lose; the very lack of
"self-apparency" is what prevents the public from siding with scientists in
so many instances.  Many people don't feel like science is something they
can grasp; so if someone comes along and derides the science, it's not hard
to nod along.  That gap needs to be intentionally bridged by people who know
what they're doing.

People aren't inherently stupid, I don't think, but as a species we're
basically lazy (call it energy-conserving).  If we think it's important that
the public understands the science, it's up to us to make it clear for them,
rather than waiting for them to figure it out.

Just my $0.02 on a Friday afternoon.

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/