From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:47:50 -0500
Colleagues;

        We are rethinking how our Programs Committee functions and I wonder
if you
could send me some information about the committee that decides on
programs/exhibits at your museum.

        Ours is charged with deciding upon new programs and grant
proposals-education, public and exhibits - and making recommendations for
implementation. We are looking for models in order to make ours more
effective and
powerful.  So I'd like to know:

Is there a the committee  that at your institution that makes decisions on
new programs?

Who is on this committeee? Does Development (fund raising) and Marketing
have a role in these decisions?

Does it decide on ALL program ideas - education, outreach, public programs,
exhibits etc.?

How does it make its decisions-by vote, consensus or other (duel, for example)?

Are it's recommendations binding or do they go to another group for further
and final consideration?

How often does it meet?

How does staff feel about it?

How would you make it work better if you had the opportunity?

Have you had experiences with other systems and how did they work?

Do you have a written description of the committees responsibilites you
could send along?

Thanks for your time and help. I will provide a summary of private replies.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D.