From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:52:10 EST
I am by no means an expert -- but thought I'd share some of our
experiences....

We at the Aurora Regional Fire Museum, (located in a 110 year old fire
station), have a "dry" sprinkler system that was installed 5 or 10 years ago.   Our
building recently underwent a million-dollar, nightmare-from-hell, building
renovation, during the course of which we had several sprinkler heads pop.   Two
went off when clumsy contractors knocked them during demo work, and a third
when the wrong (low) temperature sprinkler head was put in a very warm
skylight.   I'm happy to say the system "worked" -- water came out -- (and I'm even
happier to say that the museum was empty of artifacts at the time so damage was
minimal), but still -- it was a BIG MESS!

Dry systems are designed to flood in less than a minute so there isn't much
hope of turning it off in case of accidental tripping.   One of our staff
members was present during one of the accidents (the skylight incident).   She
heard the "pop" and "hiss" of air coming out of the pipes, but before she could
figure out what was happening, water was flowing.   As said before, the water
coming out of a "dry" system is pretty dirty and rusty and depending on your
sprinkler head it can be a LOT of water in the span of a minute or so.

Had I to do it over again, I think we'd have installed a "pre-action" (or
"double-action") system where the water flow valve is wired into your heat/smoke
detectors.   This means when a sprinkler head breaks, confirmation is needed
from another heat/smoke detector before the water is allowed to flow.   As I
understand it this system is more expensive than a standard sprinkler system,
but still less than an alternative "inert gas" system.

A final parting thought....   Make sure all your staff know what to do in
case of fire, and fire sprinkler break.   Know what it sounds like when a dry
system is "charged."   Know where your sprinkler shut off valve is, and how to
turn it off, and regardless of the inconvenience, ALWAYS have your system tested
annually.   Remember sprinklers don't just stop small fires from getting big,
they also can save lives!

 - David -
David Lewis, curator (and chief umbrella-holder in case of emergency!)
Aurora Regional Fire Museum
www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org