From:
Betty Brewer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:00:15 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Susannah West" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 11:33 AM
Subject: charge cards

> I would appreciate hearing folks' thoughts re small museums being able

> to accept charge cards.  I know that we've lost some tours as well as
> occasional gift shop sales because people are not able to charge their

> purchases.  However, I can just imagine people wanting to charge their

> $3 admissions, and that would definitely NOT be to our advantage!
>
> Susannah West
> John Rankin House, Ripley, Ohio

Susannah:

When I was director of the Delaware Agricultural Museum we worked with
our local bank and got a very reasonable fee for handling credit card
transactions that included the necessary equipment. We took cc for any
kind of transaction. Results: in a few months we started seeing
significant increases in store sales and membership renewals. I actually
started carrying higher end merchandise in the store that began to sell
well. In one instance, donor wanted to underwrite student attendance in
our summer camp program for about $1500 and she wanted to put on her
credit card. This became annual and kept going up. We also participated
in a couple of museum store events off-site per year. The ability to
accept credit cards increased sales there as well.

We started by wanting to provide customer service and ended by
increasing sales. BTW, it is my understanding that setting minimum
purchase requirements is illegal and you can be fined heavily. I know,
lots of people do it, but ...

Good luck with your decision.

Betty Brewer
Vice President, Harsco Science Center
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts
225 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101-2205

v. 717-221-8201  x1027
f.  717-221-8208