From:
Allison Ruppert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:51:37 -0500
You should always acknowledge any gift as a courtesy as well, but I believe
that anything $75 or more must be acknowledged. When we send out membership
materials (card, etc.) we send an acknowledgement/thank you letter and a tax
receipt. I can provide anyone with samples on or off-list. The following
text is on each form that we send, though.

In accordance with the Revenue Reconciliation Act of 1993, the Historical
Society of Western Pennsylvania is providing this acknowledgement for
charitable contributions made and, if applicable, a certification of the
value of any goods and/or services provided.

In my experience, I have realized that every donation, no matter how small,
is appreciated and should be officially acknowledged. We have a large senior
citizen membership base and sometimes $10 means a lot to them.They often
worry that their donation was lost in the mail if it is not acknowledged in
a timely fashion.
     Our membership levels range from $25 to $1,879. We are also an affliate
of the Smithsonian, so benefits include admission, shop discounts and their
magazine as well as our benefits. Please feel free to contact me if you need
further information.
     Best of luck with your fundraising efforts!
~Allison Ruppert
Allison M. Ruppert
Membership Development Associate
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4200
(412) 454-6321/ Telephone
(412) 454-6031/ Facsimile