From:
Maris Ensing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:36:19 -0700
Completely agree to a good extent - car and motorcycle components CAN be a
really good thing. Something that is in common use (and that the client can
still get 10 years from now just in case) such as a wiper motor for a car,
or a steering box, can be a very good thing to use - if a steering box is
good enough for 250,000 miles in a car, it's good enough for most museum
applications provided that it is operated within its design limits, but the
way in which the object is integrated and used, and the quality of what is
built around it matters.

The problem is that I'm seeing too many cases where things are just not done
right - over the course of a 2 year period some time ago, a friendly
competitor and we replaced 9 installations that people had paid for, one of
the venues in question hadn't even opened yet and had to completely change
their systems as they would never have worked. Another venue I found was at
serious risk of fire as someone cut corners and went low cost (at a major
European airport no less) to the point where we had to shut an exhibit down.
Another venue we were involved in had a dive system that was done by an
amateur and could have killed a diver. In too many venues people are being
forced to use circuit breakers to turn their equipment on and off - not only
illegal, but again causing a fire risk. These are serious issues, and much
as you mention, these things need to be done right or not at all. Good
design and quality matter, and the basic consideration for all of our
efforts should primarily be towards doing things as well as we can - within
a reasonable budget.

Maris J. Ensing

Mad Systems Inc