From:
BOYLAN P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:56:56 +0100
Any idea what the US objections to the UNIDROIT treaty are?

It simply provides that foreigners have the same rights as nationals in
bringing actions in the courts for the return of stolen property.

In fact there have been a number of such cases recently in US courts, but
the practice seems to vary greatly from State to State according the
positions of States Attorneies-General.

As the privisions are strictly reciprocal nationals of countries not
a party will have no access to the courts of other countries if their
property is stolen and smuggled to an other country.

Patrick Boylan
(ICOM)