From:
BOYLAN P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:03:36 +0100
The UNIDROIT International Convention on the International Return od
Stolen or Illegally Exported Cultural Objects was adopted by a Diplomatic
Conference of 70 participating States plus 8 observer States in Rome on
24 June 1995.  When ratified, it will allow bi-lateral access to the
courts etc. of participating countries for lawsuits in which the law of
the country of EXPORT will apply in defining `stolen' or `illegally
exported'.

This new Interrnational Treaty is likely to be extremely important - it
has been under discussion for many years within both the cultural field
and the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law
(UNIDROIT).

I hope that the full text will; be posted on either our Departmental www
systems and/or ICOM as soon as I have time to scan and HTML format it -
later this week I hope.

I will post details on MUSEUM-L and CIDOC-L and copy to Cary Karp for the
other ICOM systems as soon as this is done.

Patrick Boylan
(Vice-Pres. of ICOM)