From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:28:31 -0600
Museum Organization & StructureDear Kirk,

     In most museums, the functions listed in your question (acquisition, transportation, restoration, replication, maintenance, and exhibition) are to one extent or another the responsibility of the curatorial staff. I notice that your proposed table of organization does not include curators.  Another important function that is not evident in that table is the interpretation of the artifacts in the collection, which is also a curatorial function. I'd suggest amending the Research and Archives service slot to read "Curatorial and Research Services" and make the folks in this division responsible for the scholarly tasks that are, in fact, the reason for the museum's existence. If you intend to have an ongoing restortion program, you probably also need a conservation division, where the experts who will carry this program out will reside. Without a scholarly staff, you may be headed in the direction that guard at the British Museum once described to me when he said "Most people thnk that all you need to have a museum is a mummy and someone to take the money."

Lonn Taylor,
Fort Davis, Texas