From:
m witten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:47:54 -0600
Hello Mia-

Most historic house and/or history museums are quite happy to employ persons who hold an MA in American History. Over the past 59 years our staff has included professionals holding MAs and PhDs in history, art history and anthropology.  We hired one person who had a Masters in Museum Studies from a prestigious program who considered herself the only "museum professional" ever employed here. She was a complete disaster. She had book knowledge, but she had absolutely no idea how historic house museums work.

Especially since you have some past experience in museums (in addition to your educational background), you should be able to find a museum position. I would look at small museums, archives, state and municipal museums, etc.

You don't say what kind of position you are looking for (programs, curatorial, administrative, etc.), but the AAM does a survey of salaries.

Good luck.

Morris Witten
Executive Director
Taos Historic Museums

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

~Lew Wallace (Territorial governor of New Mexico 1878 - 1881)

http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_mobile_072008