From:
Lev Noll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:42:44 +0300
Dear colleagues,
This question is of great importance for the Russian Museum Community, it is
under discussion beyond the Museum curators and the Ministry bureaucrats for
a long time. It goes without saying that all the data, that is included into
the Accession Book must be saved. But what is the best way in computerizes
technology?
Theoretically we could discuss at any rate two versions:
1.  to make the Accession Book Data in the Computer Memory (to use it for
data processing) and to make the Traditional, Made by Hand Accession Book
(to be sure that everything is all right with the records). I do not think
it is a good idea: in this version we will duplicate data, spend a lot of
time etc.
2.  to make the Accession Book Data in the Computer Memory and to use it not
only for data processing, but to print the paper sheet in the same form as
Traditional Book. Some special procedures could be provided for this paper
document: to sign it, to make stamps, may be - to stitch these sheets
monthly  and to keep them in special safe. I prefer this method.
May be some more proposals?
It is very interesting and helpful for us, to be informed with the Museum
experience in Computerized Accession Procedure.
Lev Noll,
the Chief of the Computer Department
The State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts