From:
Jason Dennison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:40:54 -0400
It has been interesting to read these varied responses on what a
museum's role actually is.

Ideally, a museum (any museum) should be a reflection of the community
in which it resides. What would the Milwaukee Art Museum be without
highlighting the work of local Milwaukee artists? It would be a copy of
any other art museum in the world. Certainly museums serve as bastions
of the greatest examples of human endeavor--whether it be art, science,
exploration, survival, or speed.  But we must face the fact that not all
examples of human endeavor are GREAT. Pop culture, like it or not, is a
reality. When Andy Warhol came on the stage, who would have thought that
his artwork would be some of the most sought after artwork in the world?

Marie remarked in her response that "museums are not commercial". I wish
that I lived in a world and worked in whatever museum she is in because
I could not disagree more. All museums--from the biggest to the
smallest--markets their institution and collections. Even a small, local
historical society--open 1 day a week--has a visible sign in front
announcing their presence. They may not charge admission, but this
doesn't make them non-commercial. They have prints and maps and
postcards for sale inside. Sure, their revenue is small...and probably
not enough to sustain the organization...but they are still commercial.

As an employee of a museum suffering the financial strains that so many
others have also undergone in recent years, it at times feels as though
we are selling our collective soul in order to stay afloat. I didn't
enter the museum field for the money (I actually took a step down in pay
from teaching...if you can believe that), but instead...as Marie
stated...it's about the mission. We are an educational institution. We
serve as a cultural center for the community. We are a repository for
knowledge. We are a mirror against which the community can reflect and
measure itself.

The "Art of NASCAR" may not be your "cup of tea", but I guarantee that
ANY museum hosting the exhibit will find new visitors who would not
ordinarily see "French Impressionists" as their "can of beer" either.

-Jason