From:
Tim Bosher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:41:18 +1000
On Thu, 19 Oct 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> In <v01510100aca8cd7c252a@[166.84.195.200]>, Suzanne Quigley
> <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > Dear Colleagues:
> >
> >I am about to purchase a scanner and need a bit of advice.  I am looking at
> >a Vista S8 scanner or a Umax 630 scanner.  Has anyone had any experience
> >with either?   I am interested in scanning images (B/W or color) for
> >inclusion in a journal (Spectra).
> >
> >email: [log in to unmask]
>
> Never used either.  However we ahve used the HP CXII for a few years. Easy
> and quick. Should work under any platform with appropiate drivers. HP is
> usually trouble free in all their product lines. It came with scanning
> software for Win 3.1.
>

> Allan Shayer
> Assistant Curator of Exhibits
> Anchorage Museum of History and Art
> Anchorage, Ak 99515
> 907 343 6184 voice
> 907 343-6149 fax

The HP is a good general purpose 'office'scanner but may not give the
resolution required for publication. Does 'scanning images' mean from original
artwork/photographs etc or direct from film?
There are a lot of woolly statements about 'resolution equivalent to xxx'
in scanner specs so you have to be careful. Umax is good gear though

Tim

*            Tim Bosher           *      Museum of Victoria          *
* [log in to unmask]          *  Information Systems Branch      *
*      Phone: +61 3 651 6751      *      Fax: +61 3 651 6180         *
*      There is no time like the present to postpone                 *
*      what you should be doing.                                     *