From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 14:31:56 EST
Wayne Hart, Museum of Valor, wrote:

>We have been using Paradichlorobenzene in our uniform display and
>storage area for several years now with excellent results for insect
>and mildew control.

Wow. Well, with apologies to industrial hygienist and museum consultant Monona
Rossol, these are the reasons why you should stop using PDB immediately and all
museum staff should start reading appropriate conservation literature as it
pertains to their collections and their lives.

The Threshold Limit Value (TLV) for PDB is 10 parts per million, indicating that
it is very toxic. Its primary effects are on the respiratory system and liver.
It is also probably a human carcinogen. TLV' s are airborne substance standards
set by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. Toxic is a
technical term with a precise definition. Anyone who wants more detailed
information can contact Monona Rossol at Arts, Crafts, and Theater Safety, 181
Thompson Street, #23, New York, NY, 10012. (212)777-0062

Plus, it has no proven effect on mildew.

Mr. Hart, Do you keep the Material Safety Data Sheets for PDB on premises and
are your staff receiving Right-to-Know training in the appropriate use of this
material? It is required by federal law.

Gutenkauf
My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of any institution with which I
am affiliated
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"