From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:58:54 EST
I attempted to post this twice and it seems not to have been distributed either
time. If this posting actually went through, I apologize for wasting bandwith
with reposting.

Ivy Strickler wrote:

>Re the discussion of freezing and D. Gutenkanst's response:

My name is GUTENKAUF, and I am a curator (not a conservator) I work with an
institutional budget of $2000/yr for conservation.

>We are all under serious budget constraints and can only afford
>conservatorial treatment for the most specialized situations. I can't
>expect to phone a conservator and ask for free information when that is how
>the person makes his or her living, any more than I could call a
>development consultant and ask how we can do some fundraising.

Every conservator I have ever worked with has been more than happy to refer me
to appropriate publications and resources or has offered useful suggestions for
treatment of objects. Especially appropriate ones for an institution on a
limited budget.  What they haven't done is guess at treatments based on half
remembered "something I read once, but I'm not sure how it goes."

>I can't tell you how much I rely on the information in this list (as well as
recommended
>books) to help me fill in the gaps in my knowledge, not to mention budget.
>We are attempting to manage a university museum of some 7000 objects,
...snip...

We should all be able to rely on the list for appropriate information.
Unfortunately, some information posted to the list tends to be of the "well
meaning
but less than helpful" variety. I was cautioning those "I think I read
somewhere" postings that are not based in fact. Please-post accurate, cited,
information if it is available to you. Otherwise, quit guessing.

> If I had an insect problem, I'd probably ask the list too, because
professional fumigation is out of my league.

If professional fumigation under the guidance of a conservator so trained is
unavailable to a museum, I certainly hope that institution refrains from self
treatment! Far
better to isolate the object than to poison one's self, one's staff, successors,
objects, etc.

Gutenkauf
My opinions are my own and not those of any organization with which I am
affiliated.