From:
Steven Lubar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:20:47 -0400
I'll take advantage of the discussion of museum graduate programs to put in
a plug for our new program at Brown. The MA in Public Humanities program
might appeal to students considering a career in museums. From our new
brochure:

Brown University¹s Public Humanities program, part of the Department of
American Civilization, trains students to become interpreters of the
humanities to the public. It provides the knowledge and skills needed for
jobs in museums, historical societies, state and federal humanities and
cultural resource agencies, and historic preservation and community cultural
development organizations. The graduates of this program bridge the gap
between the university and the community, sharing and merging the expertise,
experience and ways of knowing of humanities scholars and the public to
build a new, broadly based understanding of culture and community. They will
become leaders of the organizations that steward our culture.

This new M.A. program (the first class was admitted in 2005) builds on
Brown¹s strength in American studies to train students to engage the public
in new understandings of history, arts, and culture. Students gain expertise
in areas of history, literature, anthropology, or art history as well as the
skills needed to work with museum artifacts, create exhibits or web sites,
conduct oral histories, or undertake historic and cultural preservation
projects. We are more concerned with applied knowledge‹more focused on
practical skills‹than the typical humanities M.A., but more academic and
more interested in theory than most programs that focus on museums or public
history. We also cover a more diverse range of organizations, media and
subject matter. Our students bring academic knowledge and research skills to
cultural organizations of all sorts, as well as the specific skills needed
for work in the cultural and non-profit arena.

More information is available at
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/AmCiv/humanities.html, or contact me at

Steve Lubar