From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:36:32 -0800
On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Arthur Harris wrote:

> I have not heard such argument in regard to original creative works, and it
> would seem that any argument based on inferior (low resolution) occurrences
> would be doubly doomed.
>
> Comment?

Trademark and Copyright law are two different creatures. (Standard "I am
not a lawyer" disclaimer).  Since the US signed the Berne Convention
regarding international copyright, it is not necessary to register
a copyright to be protected.  In fact, you no longer lose your copyright
if you do not indicate that your creative work IS copyrighted.  While
publishing something on the web may make it easier for someone else to
infringe on your copyright, you cannot lose your copyright by publishing
on the web, or anywhere else.

By the way, there are serious advantages to registering your copyright,
specifically in terms of the amount of damages that may be awarded to you
if someone infringes on your copyright.

Susan Wageman
Grants Coordinator                 [log in to unmask]
The Tech Museum of Innovation      (408) 279-7178
145 West San Carlos Street         fax (408) 279-7149
San Jose, CA  95113                http://www.thetech.org