From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:57:13 -0800
On Thu, 23 Nov 1995, Arthur Anderson wrote:

> Actually, I dont think anyone owns the web. Its fascinating how such a
> useful facet of modern society has practically evolved spontaneously;
> without any grand plan or huge budget. Makes me wonder what else is
> possible.

The core backbone of the Web/Internet in the United States was developed
with the support of millions of dollars from the National Science
Foundation (and in the early days, the Department of Defense).  Most
university connections, until recently one of the largest communities
utilizing the Internet, were also financed by NSF.  Without this early
investment from government, I am sure (IMHO) that we would have something
quite different from the Web we know today.

Susan Wageman
Grants Coordinator                 [log in to unmask]
The Tech Museum of Innovation      (408) 279-7178
145 West San Carlos Street         fax (408) 279-7149
San Jose, CA  95113                http://www.thetech.org