From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:05:07 -0400
In Princeton, New Jersey, the historical house, Morven (built in 1754
by Richard Stockton, future signer of the Declaration of
Independence) , has large marble 18th C allegorical figures of the 4
continents.  The curator, Anne Gossen [log in to unmask], can tell
you more.

  And the Princeton NJ post office has a neo-18th C mural, from 1939,
depicting the 4 continents. For the controversies surrounding it:

http://www.njn.net/arts/starts/season04-05/2302.html#2  tis of thee (2007)

In the 1930s, the government hired artists to create murals and other
works of art for public places. One of these, a mural in Princeton's
Palmer Square Post Office, has been under attack periodically since
its unveiling in 1939. The mural, showing submissive Native Americans
cowering behind symbols of American expansion and progress, is
considered by some to represent a racist, dated vision of the
American dream. Others feel that political correctness is destroying
a proper appreciation for historical art. What to do with public art
that mis-represents our common values? As part of the statewide
Transcultural New Jersey Initiative, artists, students, and teachers
from Princeton High School created a work of art that presented the
community's response to the controversial work. The installation,
involving video and projections, was featured in the inaugural
exhibition at the school's Numina Gallery.

Karen
Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
Visiting Scholar, History and Sociology of Science, University of Pennsylvania
Princeton Research Forum http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/
Guest Curator, Come into a New World: Linnaeus & America Exhibition,
American Swedish Historical Museum, Philadelphia, 2007
New Jersey State Museum, Trenton, NJ 2008
http://www.americanswedish.org/linnaeus.htm
Exhibition guide available from
http://www.dianepublishing.net/category_s/490.htm (p.4)

From: Ashley Koen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Allegories of the Four Continents

The Deshler Morris House in Philadelphia had the 4 continents
porcelain figurines.

<http://www.nps.gov/demo/>http://www.nps.gov/demo/