From:
Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:35:47 -0700
Way back in the stone age (about 1994-1996) there was an incident where a member had an auto-reply feature turned on. Every Museum-l message he got was replied to with an automatic "I am out of the office" message, including his automatically posted out of office message. When frustrated members tried to reply to him, the computer sent out more out of office messages, and it became an endless loop of non-message messages. It clogged many mailboxes, and infuriated many IT managers around the country. This lasted a few days if I remember correctly, before human intervention fixed it. These things happen on occasion, and when you see multiple messages, it usually is not the fault of the sender, but a glitch along the server somewhere. Our top notch moderator usually gets on top of things quickly. just delete and be happy in the knowledge that if it is worth saying once, it is worth saying multiple times!!! For those of you who were around back when, I am sure you remember that
 incident with your own colorful adjectives.

  Remembering "Out of Office" fondly

  Rick Fields