From:
Cedar Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:48:28 -0700
It sounds like too big of an opportunity to pass up. I'd go for it, BUT do
so in a way that minimizes potential damages to the objects. Instead of
using textiles or prints or other more sun-sensitive materials, select
sturdier artifacts able to handle the space. You'll want to change things
out regularly, both to protect the artifacts as well as to keep the window
fresh. Mannequins and figures are certainly eye-catching, but perhaps you
could use some reproduction pieces when possible. You can also use this
process as an example to educate your board members about the care and
preservation of historic artifacts by explaining your preferred choice of
materials selected for display.

I think this sounds like a potentially wonderful plan, and suggest that you
think about how to use the windows not as history exhibits in themselves,
but as a way to draw people in the door to look at the exhibitions inside
the museum itself. With a space like that you can really get creative. A
window display is different than an interior exhibit, and you can use it to
promote existing exhibitions, highlight seasonal things (we have a small
interior window space carved out of our museum store, and last summer one of
the volunteers created a wonderful beach-themed window showcasing historic
bathing suits), or just generally remind people that you exist and that they
should come in and check out the inside. Which of course is exactly what a
store window is meant to do. You're right to be concerned about the
collection, but I think you will be able to work out a compromise that works
for everyone.

Cedar Phillips