From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:55:36 -0400
Kristen,

When I was working with the Museum Association of Waco's summer camp, we developed a scholarship form that you might find useful.  I'm not sure who are the currently officers but if you contact Tina Brumm (Collections Assistant) at Ranger Museum she can probably help with locating the form.  If not, I may have a copy here.

It had a three parts to the form: basic camper contact information, a short answer question for the camper asking why they are interested in this camp, and a parents section that asked parents for their range of income (these were broad) and a place for them to tell us why they needed the scholarship.  In our case, we also asked if they needed a full or partial scholarship (1/4, ½, ¾).  We felt strongly that if they parents paid something even just the deposit of $25 they were more likely to make sure their kids came to camp every day and it allowed us to give a few more scholarships away.  We never heard of any parents bulking and the combination of income levels and essay allowed for parents to tell us if they were having temporary difficulties, etc.  I thought it went very well.

Hope this helps

Tracie Evans

Curator of Collections

Sauder Village