From:
lrmacurator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 15:08:07 -0600
This is a bit much, really:

> Even for the older worker who may be experiencing age-related
> physical and  mental symptoms that may interfere with their work.
> Like we've seen in one  post...where they are simply deemed as
> incompetent. Where is the  compassion? The respect for our elders?
> Even if in a little way, people should  have the opportunity to
> contribute and feel productive ...no matter how  small and be
> allowed accommodations. To push them (often by hostile means) into
>  retirement...where is the humanity in that? This, in my opinion is
> a form of  elder abuse.

If a person is no longer able to carry out their job duties, it is by no means
"abuse" to persuade them to retire.  This usage of the term is irresponsible,
as it diminishes the very real elder abuse epidemic of violence, starvation,
exploitation, neglect, poor medical treatment, and so forth.

If anyone, of any age, can no longer do their job without reasonable
accommodations, why must a museum - or any employer - continue to employ that
person?  It is not a matter of disrespect for elders, but the simple fact that
an institution has a mission, and our institutions usually have limited
budgets.  Keeping a non-functioning employee out of compassion or respect only
ends up stretching limited resources by having to hire someone to do that
person's job, or putting their job duties onto other employees, who already
have their own jobs.  This is really too much to be expected.