From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:34:38 -0800
Ginger,

I have seen the white accretions / efflorescence on harness and saddles
before. If it is a waxy deposit then it is probably due to old saddle soap
or dressing oils that may have bloomed due to a change in environmental
conditions. It could also be salt efflorescening from horse sweat but that
would be in a logical place where it was in contact with the animal. I have
also seen objects that were treated with renaissance wax that also exhibit a
white accretion in crevice areas where the wax was not buffed. Try to look
at these deposits using low-power magnification and bright light. As leather
ages it can lose collagen through hydrolisis and will often turn brittle and
form a cracklure into islands. There isn't much you can do about that except
have a conservator perform a consolidation treatment and have the fragile
object on a good museum mount in a controlled environment.

As far as how to handle the white material. It depends on what it is.
Contact me off the list with some digital photos (close ups if possible) and
I may be able to give you more specific thoughts on this.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant