From:
Valerie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:54:07 -0600
In response to the inquiry as to whether a museum should charge admission for an aid to a disabled person, allow me to relate from years of personal experience. I am both a museum professional and an Occupational Therapist who has worked with disabled people for years. I have gone on numerous "outings" with disabled people, and never was I or an aid charged full admission. My suggestion is to charge full admission to the disabled person and nothing for the aid. The aid is there to assist the disabled person and therefore is not coming to the museum for entertainment, but to work. If you think that by allowing a very small group of aids in for free is going to break you financially, then think of it as excellent PR for your institution. Plus, who knows the aid may return as a paying customer when they are not working. The disabled person, I'm confident, will either return again or encourage others to do so.
Valerie Davis
Oconomowoc and Lake Country Museum