From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:51:37 +0800
Hello to Gayle and the list.

Firstly just to say that I am touched by the concern expressed.

The earthquake/s in question were in the rarely inhabited Auckland Islands, which are 200+kms North of New Zealand and are wildlife sanctuaries.

Had they taken place in the city of Auckland ( New Zealand's largest city) then it would have been an entirely different matter.

Speaking personally though, I no longer live in New Zealand having left that country well over a year ago.  I am now a permanent resident of Singapore.

Although not on a fault line, even Singapore has experienced swaying buildings in the last couple of weeks. This is due to the fact that Indonesia is one of our nearest neighbours (abeit we are hundreds of kms away from any seismic plates and epicentres). (see my blog entry)

best wishes to all

Roger