From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:35:25 -0500
O Knowledgeable Ones -
We have an ailing and outdated HVAC system in our large 1774 stone house here in the Carolina Piedmont. We are looking at making small improvements while we wrestle with the larger issues of visitor comfort/building well-being. So, these are my questions:

Given that we have only rudimentary control over our temperature and no control over humidity, would a programmable thermostat be of some utility in helping us lessen condensation while still catering to visitors' expectations? And if so, how should we set it to lessen condensation while not freezing or broiling our visitors?

And secondly, I would love to be pointed toward good resources and knowledgeable consultants to inform our decisions as to what to do next. I would especially like to hear from people who have dealt with these issues in houses such as ours - stone, two floors plus full cellar and attic, plaster exterior walls, wooden interor walls, wood shingle roof, fully furnished, with guided tours coming through two or more times a day.

I should add that we are located in the Carolina Piedmont. Long hot summers, moderately cold winters, and what I call Yo-yo Season in the spring and fall. We can go from lows in the twenties to highs in the seventies during a given week in February, and daily temperature ranges are typically thirty degrees between high and low. Summers can be hot and wet, or hot and dry, or both.
Many thanks, as always, for any information you can share with us -
Anne
Anne  T  Lane,  Collections  Manager
The  Charlotte  Museum  of  History
where  history  has  a  home