From:
"Jansonius, Remko (Vizcaya)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:29:33 -0400
Sara,

Whether you're overreacting or not I don't know. But the fact that you
seem eager to address this is a good thing. Whatever gets accepted and
accessioned in your collection today will be the responsibility to care
for of those who come after you. Therefore, new acquisitions have to fit
into a mission and a collection plan. If you accept objects as gifts
without history and without paperwork you set yourself and next
collection managers up for a nightmare. (I don't think you can put a
right or wrong percentage on the number of insider gifts; it all depends
...)
It sounds like you already have a mission statement for your
institution. Review it, and based on this mission create a collections
policy that clearly defines what your area of collecting and new
acquisitions will be. Get your board involved in this process, and they
need to sign off on the final document. This is a process of education
for all, and once you have a clear collecting mandate you can accept or
reject offers, based on this document.
This may be a bit of a process and take some time, but from what you
write in your post, it will be well worth the effort.

These are my two cents. Good luck. And if you're interested I'll be
happy to send you that section of our collections policy that defines
what we (at Vizcaya) will and will not collect.

Remko Jansonius
Collections and Archives Manager
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens