From:
"Jansonius, Remko (Vizcaya)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:47:51 -0500
Glen,
IMHO the refund of a membership fee defeats the very idea behind a
membership program: to support an organization, usually for the period
of one year, in their general operation, programming, or whatever those
funds are applied to.
I realize there may be exceptional circumstances where an organization
would consider a refund. Aside from tax issues, a prorated refund may
make sense, but prorating what? The amount of time of the year-long
membership that has lapsed? Or the number of times that the member has
used the membership, for example for free admission; or for discount in
the gift shop; or for discounted admission to special programs or
events? For many museums, a member can get the cost of membership back
pretty quickly through these discounts (also, what about the free gift
that comes with a new membership?), so your losses through a refund may
add up beyond the refund itself.
Remko