From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:08:32 EDT

For sure! Of course politics, etc., are much related to museology  and as you
point out, these discussions should be appropriate! Some of  us were able to
extract bits and pieces from that thread that may be relevent to  issues we
are facing in museums...it soon became clear that wasn't the  intent of the
thread, as it wasn't tying into any of that. In fact,  but for a few responses to
the original thread (some, interesting still)...the  relevent issues still
weren't explicitly addressed!

Some of the replies alluded to relevent political issues...I could tell
there were some of us that wanted to bring forth the relevent political
issues...but refrained, mostly because we didn't want to respond to an  inappropriate
thread.

Since I am new to the list, I would think that in the more recent past  there
has been discussions about the political situation and how the economy is
affecting museum attendance, etc. I regret missing that, and have only learned
of the impact gas prices have had at one museum...the director told me
attendance there was down 50%...and so donations, gift shops sales, etc., and
having to lay off a p/t employee as a result. The museum where I work - we only
had $45 in the donation jar for the entire season so far (which ends next
weekend, and I'll have the attendance figured then).

But I won't delve further into that issue in this reply. And I won't say
much about freedom of speech but that I have found that there has been some (not
a lot) intolerance to threads that are museum-related. This, I found to  be
puzzling and somewhat oppressive.

Personally, I don't have an issue with managing my e-mail from this list as
I have a dedicated e-mail addy for this and other related work and research.
And, until I get the PC for the museum where I work, I am doing  my internet
research from home and have more time to leisurely peruse  these e-mails.

Regardless, I would suggest that the list be more aggressive about dealing
with inappropriate threads by immediately letting the person who posted it know
 the thread is unacceptable (some did though), and that we otherwise refrain
from  responding to the thread. If we do find some relevence, we can post
anew. Also,  if a member has an issue of concern that isn't popular...perhaps they
 could invite the discussion to go offlist?

Just some thoughts -Pam

In a message dated 8/28/2005 10:09:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,