From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:11:28 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I'm working on developing a project for a regional museum service
> agency--a new directors institute--that provides affordable training for
> small and mid-sized new museum directors and I'd be interested in hearing
> from all those no-longer new museum directors about what you wish you'd
> known when you became a director or what you feel people becoming
> directors (we've found that, in small museums, as many people without
> museum training as with training are becoming directors) need to know to
> be successful at their jobs.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all comments.  Feel free to reply on the list or
> off- list as well.
>
> Linda Norris

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

I am interested in what you are undertaking.  I currently run a
medium-sized museum but for twenty-five years have been engaged in
non-profit organization development.  I have some specific ideas about
Board and Director relationships, internal management, promotion and
publicity, etc. that I could share with you.  However, I have
entertained thoughts over the years of putting that information into a
"guide" of sorts that I would publish, so would want to exercise caution
in sharing it with you (I might want to do some consulting after I
retire, too).

Bob Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
Angleton, Texas