From:
Lori Rockhold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:42:53 -0500
Jennifer,

Our policy has always been that while the Collections Curator assess the
damage to the items the Registrar gets, in writing, as may witness accounts
of the incident as possible.  Once the accounts have been collected, they
are then typed up in a form of sorts that includes the answers to the basic
questions: who, what, when, where, and how.  Then the reports are added to
the database (Past Perfect) and the hard files.  If the incident occurs
during a special/after hour's event then the accounts are collected from
security and the special events coordinator.

If the item/items damaged are on loan, an insurance claim is made and the
items are sent for conservation.  If the items are part of one of the museum
's collections then it is up to the curator weather or not an outside
conservator is needed.  That being said, our Curator of Collections is a
trained conservationist, if you don't have a conservator on staff you may
want to include that conservation and insurance claims will be addressed on
a case be case basis.

Lori