From:
Elizabeth Tobey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 13:49:27 -0400
I am working for the National Sporting Library in Middleburg, Virginia.  We
have inaugurated a visiting fellows program to attract researchers
(including museum curators and professionals) to use our collections, which
are particularly strong in the areas of horse and field sports and sporting
art.  Our deadline for the first round of applications is September 30th of
this year.  I am assisting the Library in setting up and publicizing the
fellowship and in processing applications.

I wanted to get advice from people at other museums and libraries that have
fellowship programs on ways to go about selecting fellows from the pool of
applicants.  Currently our selection committee is composed of myself and two
other staff members, a former library director, and two members of our Board
of Trustees.  But I'm wondering if it would be wise to also bring in one or
two "outsiders" not associated with the Library to be on the selection
committee.

If your institution has a fellowship program, may I ask how do you handle
selecting fellows from a pool of applicants? Do you bring in outside people
to help make the selection?  If so, how do you select these people, and do
they participate in the selection via email and phone or do they actually
have to travel to your institution for the selection meeting?

- Elizabeth Tobey, Fellowship Coordinator and John H. Daniels Fellow
National Sporting Library
P.O. Box 1335
Middleburg, VA 20118
540-687-6542 x 25