From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:02:00 -0500
Not true.  From my experience, women, especially Anglo women,
represent a majority of museum workers.  For example, the Museum
Studies program at GWU (where I went)  is dominated by Anglo women.
Women are lacking in higher level positions, but that is another can of
beans.  I have a grad. degree in museum studies and a few years
experience if you add in all of my internships, and have been unable to
find a job in my area of study (collections management) after actively
looking for the past two years.   I hardly consider myself sought after.
Yes, there is an opportunity for many hard-working folks to work in
museums, but only if you want to work for free or a low salary which is
perhaps why so many groups stay away from the profession.

Laura Mahoney
Office of Sponsored Projects
Smithsonian Institution

(don't let the name deceive you -- yes, I do work in a museum, but in the
field of research administration which is quite distinct from traditional
museum work)

>>> Aloud_zine Art News El Paso <[log in to unmask]> 03/06/97
03:37pm >>>
Don't sell yourself short and say that museums aren't going to hire you
because you're not (in your own words) "in the target population for
hiring initiatives in museums."  There's opportunity for many hard-working
folks to work in museums in the USA.  Yes, there are initiatives to hire
and retain people of color, but women, regardless of nationality are also
sought after. Remember, this discussion centers around groups of
people who have been excluded historically.
Miguel