From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:29:46 -0400
Kimberly,

It sounds to me like the kind of job that might fit you best would be a state or federal museum job.???? They are very competitive, but tend to pay better and indeed, usually have "room for advancement" -- an area that may often be lacking in small and private museums, or large art museums that prefer to hire famous outsiders for the key positions.

I would investigate the merit system for the State of Michigan.? There is probably a test that you must take to be considered in the pool of applicants.? You may want to investigate what types of jobs are available at state-owned museums as well as with the cultural heritage or historic preservation divisions at the state parks or division of natural resources.??? You will probably want to devote some time every week or several times a month to monitoring websites where such jobs are listed on a state-network to catch the deadlines for available positions.

Federal jobs are listed online, also, ?and other people on the list have more experience with them than I do.??? It helps to have completed military service, as those applicants are usually considered first for federal positions.

Good luck with your search.

Cordially,
Dr. Pam Sezgin
Anthropology and History Professor - Gainesville State College (Georgia)
and Museum Consultant