From:
"Scher Thomae, Dawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:59:19 -0500
I think we can all agree that a love for a particular field whether it
be History, Anthropology, Art History or Education is not "enough" and
that other transferable skills are highly desired. As someone who has
personally supervised over 300 high school, undergraduate, graduate and
postgraduate interns, I agree with most of what has already been
expressed.  HOWEVER, in response to Adam most museums are not staffed
with folks who have the leisure time to invest in someone who is not
sure about their possible direction.  The best internships are achieved
when expectations are clearly articulated on both sides.  Even though
the student may not be sure about their career trajectory a bit of
research, an informational interview of someone in the field, a
shadowing experience can help them articulate what they want to learn
and a direction they might want to pursue.  In museums we want more than
someone who can just "do the job well" then leave.  Maybe it's just me,
but I want to chose someone who may be considering museums as a career
and therefore shows interest and curiosity in their surroundings and
what we have to offer .  We are not asking for life-time commitments.

I just interviewed five graduating high school students for a paid
summer internship.  They were all bright, enthusiastic, had great
recommendations and were amazing achievers in and outside of school.  I
eliminated two because even though they were enthusiastic about the
field they showed no interest in the subject area we covered, were not
sure what they wanted to pursue in college (three or four possibilities
were mentioned) and I truly believe they just wanted it so it would look
good on their resume.

It was a difficult decision for the last three but I chose a candidate
whose interests corresponded to the projects and tasks that I had lined
up for this summer.  I realize that being in a larger museum in an urban
area, I can sometimes be more selective but I feel if I invest 50
percent of effort into someone I want to get 100 percent back.

Dawn Scher Thomae

Milwaukee Public Museum