From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:02:25 +0000
In article: <9511281402.AA09285@corb>  Indianapolis Art Center
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> In our galleries we exhibit contemporary art, and we try to be as
> minimal as possible with the labels, preferring to make use of an
> introductory panel and a handout to explain the work.
> . . .
> The handout has more detailed information such as dimensions,
> description of process used, etc.

You don't say what is in the introductory panel, but I always feel that
I need more than physical data when looking at contemporary art.
Presumably the purpose of the art is to act as some form of
communication between the artist and the viewer. They may be
communicating information, feelings, attitudes or experiences, but in
many cases I do not consider that I have "received" the message,
whatever it is.

Perhaps I need education in the "language" of modern art, but I am very
appreciative of galleries which make some attempt at translation for
those of us who are not yet fluent in understanding without words.

Do galleries consider that interpretation/translation of modern art is
their role, or do they consider that (a) "if you can't appreciate it as
it is you shouldn't be here" or (b) "if you stay and experience it long
enough you will eventually understand and appreciate it".

Leonard Will

--
Dr Leonard D Will                    Tel: +44 181 372 0092
Information Management Consultant    Fax: +44 181 372 0094