From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:42:31 +0000
The comparable UK figure for Internet (including WWW) use is already 7%
and is confidently expected to increase by 50% or more in the next few
weeks; (also the latest UK figures show that over 40% of adults now have
regular hands-on access to an advanced computer either at work, home or
both).  New and uprated (eg. modem) multi-media computers are expected to
be among the most popular Christmas `buys'.  Also, after a very slow
start cable systems are now being installed very rapidly across the
country.  (Work is going on today just outside my house in a
stand-alone village community of less than 4,000 people for example.)
Most cable operators are selling themselves and their services more in
respect of very low cost Or even free local call and connection ) telephone
and internet connections than for extra TV channels (at least in wealthier
districts - may be different in lower cost housing areas where satellite
dishes are noticeable more common.)

All the signs are that there will be an explosion of use in the very
near future.  After all it took the `traditional' Internet about 25
years to get to 30 million users worldwide; the Web has gone from
virtually zero to at least 10 million in about two years.

Many of these issues were discussed at last week's conference on
museums and the social implications of the `Internetworked' Society
at the University of Uppsala, and if anyone is interested my
presentation to that - with all the visuals being projected from my
London files and the various links from Sweden to New Zealand - is
on:

    http://www.city.ac.uk/artspol/uppsala.html

Patrick Boylan