From:
Michael Cogswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:50:43 -0400
Museum-L:

Ann is correct that delivery of bulk mail is dependent upon each post office
and each mail carrier.  We've been sending our exhibit announcements via
bulk mail for about eight years  I remember one mailing where a recipient in
New Orleans received the announcement in two days, but a recipient in New
York City (we're in New York City) received it in six weeks.

Another problem with bulk mail is that mail with problems such as "no such
address," or "forwarding order expired" or whatever, may not be returned to
you. (And then you again mail to the invalid address during your next
mailing.)  If you mail it first class, it will be returned immediately.

This summer we started an electronic newsletter, called "E-POPS."  You can
sign up for it on our web site (www.satchmo.net).  We are adding new
subscribers at the rate of 3-5 per day!  E-POPS has been such a success that
we are considering, within the next year, discontinuing large bulk mailings
altogether. The expense of designing and printing an announcement, printing
labels, affixing labels, postage, etc. doesn't compare with the cost of
composing an E-POPS, with photos, and then hitting one button and instantly
reaching 2,000 subscribers.  But--before I get flamed--I should add that we
haven't made this decision yet.  But we're thinking about it!

Michael
Michael Cogswell
Director
Louis Armstrong House & Archives