From:
Larry Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:10:06 -0400
Listserv members,

One thing to bear in mind is whether your use of scents should be an
"interactive" experience such as that described by Caitlyn and Jen, or a
passive experience where the scent(s) are part of the exhibition
environment. I've found that it is often much more effective to
introduce scent(s) into an experience and allow the guest to "discover"
them on their own. The magic of unexpectedly discovering the scent is
much more memorable than being directed to lift a lid, push a button,
etc. It is the ultimate interactive experience.

There are times where scent on demand is appropriate, for example when
comparing scents or calling attention to specific attributes of a scent.
However, for my two cents worth, if you are creating a scent as part of
an environment it is better to introduce it naturally instead of by way
of some device simply for the purpose of having another "interactive".

If you prefer not to introduce the scent(s) when their are no guests in
the exhibition, simply utilize a motion detector to trigger the scent
dispersal when a guest enters the space. Combined with a timer, this
method can also prevent "over-introduction" of the scent during peak
visitation.

Larry Fisher
Planner, Designer, Imagineer