From:
Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:24:41 -0600
Does anyone know of any virtual museums that are honest to goodness,
independent, non-profit, collecting institutions that have no physical
collections or infrastructure other than the servers they're housed on?  I'm
working with a group that wants to organize such an entity to collect and
digitize photographs, film and video that documents the history of a local
community, and then create web sites, virtual exhibits and video productions
as well as an on-line archive to make the material accessible. The actual
film/photos would either be returned to the donors or passed along to
another institution that curates these types of items.

The questions are:

1) Is there any organization operating on this model already?

2) How might the legal complexities of obtaining unrestricted rights to a
copy of someone's film but not the actual film be handled in the language of
the deed of gift (we're talking about people's home movies, old corporate
film and video, old TV news video, etc so we may be dealing with both
individuals and corporations as donors)?

3) What other complications regarding access, use and licensing can you
think of?

4) Are we crazy?

Thanks,

Dan