From:
Dawn Scher Thomae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:43:21 -0500
On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Jay Smith wrote:

> Jeanne:
>
> How about asking foundations to help set up and support a fund for interns?
>  We ask for foundation support for projects, bricks and mortar, programming,
> and a multitude of other needs.  Why not ask for support for the most
> valuable asset that museum's possess--People.
>
> Jay Smith
> Reno County Museum
> Hutchinson, KS

I have been reading this discussion with much interest for many reasons.
I was a past intern during my undergrad at the Smithsonian (no pay), the
Denver Children's Museum (no pay), and the Children's Museum in Boston
(minimum wage, part-time).  I understand the need to support yourself
when doing this but I was so sure about my career path that I found ways
to support myself while I was in those cities. Babysitting, cleaning
houses, etc.  It was all worthwhile; I thought of it as a new
adventure--discovering a new city, meeting new people, etc. These have
been some of my best memories. Now to the present...

Currently, I am a Collections Manager but I also have a strong background in
Education.  I began the Museum Internship Program here at the Milwaukee
Public Museum in Jan. 1991 and since then we have had over 270 students
complete internships in depts. from Anthro. to Marketing to Geology.
Except for 6 of those positions, all of them were unpaid, some for
credit, most for experience.  We have anywhere from 65 to 75 students per
year and while they would love to have a paid internship, they all
understand that it is just not feasible.  They accept the internship with
this knowledge; they find ways to support themselves. So my
advice to you (and I talk to hundreds of undergrad and grad students per
year) is don't limit yourself.  If you want something bad enough, you'll
find a way to support yourself.  It is so important to build your resume
as well as your character in this field.

Now concerning funding for museum internships...Museum people, try
something creative! Jay is right, start a foundation, advertise in your
museum magazine or newsletter to adopt a student for the summer (or fall
or spring).  I am just starting to fundraise; I wanted to wait until our
program was well-established.  I am contacting previous interns and
asking for donations.  Since I sent out the letters last week, the
money has started to come in.  Even if the amount is
small, don't refuse it. Be grateful. You have to start somewhere. To fund
student workers for the summer, we are also having a bake sale and a
rummage sale. Granted, this is to support students in our dept. but why
can't it be museum-wide?  If you raise $500 to $1000 by this method, that
is one more student who can be supported.  The money I raise for the
internship fund will go to help support a student from out of state or
out of the country.  So...instead of harping on having no money to
support students, I would like to hear from museums who have found
creative ways to make money to support smaller goals or projects like these.

Dawn Scher Thomae
Milwaukee Public Museum
Collections Manager/Asst. Curator-Anthropology
Museum Internship Coordinator
Graduate Museum Studies Instructor
(So, I wear many hats...museums are my life...good or bad)