From:
Emily Bibb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:05:13 -0600
I am posting this for a friend, please reply to her off list at

At the Casemate Museum we are transferring the museum from an Army museum
to a museum owned and operated by the Fort Monroe Authority (FMA), a
political sub-division of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  We have committed
ourselves to operating the museum to national standards set forth by the
American Alliance of Museums (AAM).  I am sure that many small museums,
such as the Casemate Museum that have undergone similar transitions, were
faced with challenges  regarding founding and governing documents.  At the
Casemate Museum the recommendation from AAM's Museum Assessment of the
Casemate Museum is that a governing committee of the parent organization
(the FMA Board of Trustees) be established to serve in similar capacity as
a board of directors that makes recommendations to the FMA Board of
Trustees to adopt. So the question is, if no such documents existed for the
museum under Army governance, which founding and governing documents
should  this committee develop to meet AAM standards?

Again, please respond to [log in to unmask]