From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:32:41 -0500
Nan,

Following are some thoughts and considerations.  Of course, they are heavily based upon proper preservation.

1) When in a mall, one exits the front door of one store and enters the front door of an adjacent store.  I have never seen a connecting door in the middle between two stores.  While this may or may not be viewed as convenient, it is a security risk and reduces the useable wall space in both rooms.   Is there adequate staffing to police the additional entry/exit point?   If not, who pays for the additional expenses?

2) Are both spaces on the same environmental control system?  Are both environments controlled to the same specifications?  An open door will prevent differing specifications, and disallow each space to be individually controlled.  This is true for dust filtration as well.

3) Are objects in both spaces equally evaluated and inspected for pests, mold or other problems before they are allowed to enter the spaces?  If not, problems can migrate from one room to the other.

4) Are policies for food and drink the same in both spaces?  If not, increased risks of attracting pests could result in the more controlled space.

5) Are there light control issues that could result in greater light damage if the door was present and open?

I am sure that there are many more issues, but these are my initial thoughts.  I hope they help!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016