From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:27:19 -0500
A solution I devised years ago for the Museum of York County in Rock Hill, SC, was to use the metal shelf bracket systems you can find in any DIY store. We installed the metal strips that are screwed vertically to the wall and then put the largest brackets I could find - I think they were for at least 18" wide shelves - on them at suitable intervals. We threaded galvanized pipe through the textile tubes and then just laid the ends of it over the shelf brackets, thus suspending the tubes. You might have to put stops on the brackets to keep your tubes from rolling off. The vertical spacing of your shelves can be adjusted to accommodate various diameters of rolls, and you may be able to put more than one tube per pair of brackets if the rolls are not too large. I'd be happy to provide a diagram if this is not a clear enough description.

Anne
Anne  T  Lane,  Collections  Manager
The  Charlotte  Museum  of  History
where  history  has  a  home