From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:21:36 -0400
One thing to remember about music or any other noise in an exhibit- your
staff. My first exhibit played a musical montage that included the "Duck and
Cover" song. Less than a day after the exhibit was installed, I got a call
asking me to remove the music because it was driving the guards nuts. If you
have guards, guides, or anyone else who will be in the vicinity for a time,
remember they will be hearing the interactives over and over and over. One
interactives company I've been working with lately said they will never
include continuous noise on an interactive because their clients have found
if it annoys a staff person, that staff person makes sure it stops annoying
them soon enough.

So, on behalf of guards, front desk staff and other gallery representatives,
please remember them when planning any sort of noise in an exhibit. If
you're not sure, play the noise in your office for a week and see how you
feel.

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org